Southwest coming to Ford International | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) - Southwest Airlines has announced that it will make Grand Rapids one of their next cities to be transitioned from AirTran Airways to Southwest Airlines service starting in August.
The Regional Air Alliance of West Michigan made the announcement Monday morning at the Ford International Airport.
Beginning August 11, 2013 Southwest will have nonstop service to Baltimore/Washington, Denver, Orlando, St. Louis. The additional Southwest destinations represent a nearly doubling of service levels from Grand Rapids.
Southwest nonstop service to Denver and St. Louis are new, additional destinations out of Grand Rapids.
"Southwest's expanded service to Gerald R. Ford International Airport is more great news for our region's economy. The news affirms the combined efforts of RAAWM, Gerald R Ford Airport leadership, community leaders and local travelers to ensure West Michigan has quality commercial air service," said Dick DeVos, RAAWM's founder and chairman.
The expectation is Southwest's entry will lower prices for all air travel out of Ford, which is one of the country's most expensive. DeVos says travelers may notice price drops even before Southwest starts in August. "In some cases, like Air Tran - we actually saw pricing benefit before the service began in anticipation" DeVos said.
Upcoming Events near Ada - Cascade - Forest Hills
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kentwood man dies after Kent Co. crash
- My Town Kentwood: New took means no waiting at local Secretary of State office
- My Town Kentwood: Student readers eager to join 100 Point Club
- My Town Kentwood: EmploymentGroup Launches next round of 5 in 5 Scholarships
- Wyoming Parks & Recreation Spring/Summer Services now available
- My Town Lowell: Flat River Outreach Ministries prepares for Food Fight 2014
- My Town Lowell: Help create a new trail in Fallasburg Park
- My Town Lowell: Experience Poverty FROM the heart April 22
- My Town Lowell: Scammer to police chief: 'You owe $3,000'
- My Town Lowell: Riverwalk Master Plan forum April 17