Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, H&M coming to area | News
GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) -- Three popular retail chains are coming to West Michigan. Developers say metro Grand Rapids will soon have a Trader Joe's, a Whole Foods Market, and and an H&M clothing store.
"We have a lot of new activity," confirms commercial real estate broker Earl Clements of Colliers International. "It's all good news."
Many shoppers have hoped one or all of those retailers would locate in West Michigan. Carol Wagen, owner of Metal Art Studio in Grand Rapids, is especially enthusiastic about Trader Joe's,
"I just like the way they market their products," she says. "Everyone in my whole world has wanted a Trader Joe's."
If tentative plans become reality, H&M Clothing and Trader Joe's will open a West Michigan location within 12 months and a Whole Foods Market within two years.
"Grand Rapids is where they aren't and they need to be here," explains Clements.
Clements says H&M will probably put their store in the Woodland Mall on 28th Street in Kentwood. Trader Joe's and Whole Foods Market are still scouting locations, possibly on 28th Street in Cascade or along the East Beltline.
"As an urban area in Michigan, to have national retailers looking at our region is a really significant statement," says Grand Rapids City Planning Director Suzanne Schultz. "It says we are on the upswing."
Developers say there may also be other companies looking for locations in West Michigan that we don't know about yet. They say Grand Rapids has more room for retail, and when one comes other investors and national retailers will look at the region.
"People outside of Michigan and outside of Grand Rapids are discovering West Michigan," says Clements. "We are going to get more and more retail and that's great. It makes it fun."
Upcoming Events near Ada - Cascade - Forest Hills
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: Gaslight Village retailer welcomes new name and location
- My Town: Aquinas College professor elected to Lilly Fellows Program's national board
- My Town: Enjoy the Dog Days of Summer with dogs July 15
- My Town EGR: Final 'Concerts In The Park' performance July 15
- My Town EGR: West Catholic students to earn credits from Aquinas College
- The man who died after crashing into a tractor Saturday afternoon has been identified
- Ionia Free Fair open
- My Town: Whites Bridge Historical Society granted oversight of bridge area
- My Town: Boil Water Advisory in effect for part of downtown Lowell
- My Town Lowell: Winner crowned in FROM's 2014 Food Fight