Meekhof Lumber to close in June | News
CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) -- A Kent County family business that's been in operation for three generations is closing this summer.
Meekhof Lumber in the 6000 block of 28th Street SE will close on June 30, says co-owner Gary Meekhof.
The lumberyard, which has been in business for more than 55 years, specializes in selling cedar and redwood building materials, but it was hit hard by the slump in the housing market.
Gary Meekhof says many factors weighed into the family's decision to close -- the slow housing industry, competition from big box stores, and the company's lack of profitability.
The company has four employees -- all members of the family.
Meekhof says they plan to try to liquidate their stock by their closing date.
The family has already sold the lumberyard property to Fox Motors. Meekhof believes the auto dealership group has plans to expand its Delta Imports lot, which is next door to the lumberyard.
Upcoming Events near Ada / Cascade
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town EGR: Snow hinders water meter readers for a second month
- My Town EGR: A way through life's transitions
- My Town EGR: City commissioners review Boulevard Bridge project March 3
- My Town EGR: Final performances of CLUE the musical
- My Town EGR: City commissioners to review Boulevard Bridge project plans