Meekhof Lumber to close in June | News
CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Mich. (WZZM) -- A Kent County family business that's been in operation for three generations is closing this summer.
Meekhof Lumber in the 6000 block of 28th Street SE will close on June 30, says co-owner Gary Meekhof.
The lumberyard, which has been in business for more than 55 years, specializes in selling cedar and redwood building materials, but it was hit hard by the slump in the housing market.
Gary Meekhof says many factors weighed into the family's decision to close -- the slow housing industry, competition from big box stores, and the company's lack of profitability.
The company has four employees -- all members of the family.
Meekhof says they plan to try to liquidate their stock by their closing date.
The family has already sold the lumberyard property to Fox Motors. Meekhof believes the auto dealership group has plans to expand its Delta Imports lot, which is next door to the lumberyard.
Upcoming Events near Ada - Cascade - Forest Hills
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town: The Princeton Review names the nation's greenest colleges
- My Town EGR: Public Safety Director reminds riders to remember the helmet ordinance
- My Town EGR: Shuttered beauty boutique reopens as fitness store
- My Town: Lake Drive construction means driving detours
- My Town EGR: Water main flushing to start soon
- My Town Lowell: Volunteers needed for Earth Day trail cleanup
- My Town Lowell: Lowell High School hosts Food Fight scrimmage
- My Town Lowell: Flat River Outreach Ministries prepares for Food Fight 2014
- My Town Lowell: Help create a new trail in Fallasburg Park
- My Town Lowell: Experience Poverty FROM the heart April 22